What to expect when owning a Siberian kitten
I’ve not been a cat owner for very long, and before that, I wasn’t even a cat person, so I wasn’t sure what to expect from owning one. After deciding to get a cat, our breed of choice was the Siberian. As I was allergic we had to opt for a hypoallergenic breed, and Siberians seemed to be the most cute and fluffy. So a Siberian kitten it was…
Our first kitten was a female grey tabby we called Sudo, and she was not what I was expecting at all. I always thought that cats were aloof, and weren’t really that bothered about their owner, but I was very wrong.
After only a few months we were hooked, and added a second kitten to out home. This time we went for a female red spotted tabby who we called Leeloo, and in terms of personality, the two couldn’t be more different!
Each of our kittens has taught me some valuable lessons on owning Siberians, so if you’re considering a cat like ours, here’s what you should know.
- Siberian kittens may lavish their owners with affection, including licking the owner’s face, nuzzling them, and following them around the house.
- You can play fetch with your Siberian kitten using a small toy.
- Siberian kittens can be quite vocal, and multiple cats will sometimes converse with each other. One of their purrs sounds like a Velociraptor.
- Siberian cats are a ‘dog-like’ breed, and as such, may forget how to cat. It is not uncommon for your Siberian to fall off furniture randomly, or miss, when jumping onto objects.
- You will not choose your Siberian kitten, it will choose you, whether you like it or not.
- To anticipate when your Siberian kitten will pounce, watch out for the bum wiggle, it will be the cutest thing you will ever see.
- When placing a harness on your Siberian kitten for the first time, it will flop over onto it’s side and become paralysed. The paralysis affects the cat to the point that you can drag it across the carpet by the lead and it will still not move. Paralysis subsides after around 10 minutes.
- You Siberian kitten will likely present its tummy to you for rubbing. Unlike some other cats, the Siberian seems to enjoy this.
- You will soon be able to identify your Siberian kitten purely from their bum. This is due to the amount of time your Siberian will spend shoving it in your face.
- If you are trying to do anything with your hands (type, play a card game) your cat will be immediately compelled to sit on whatever it is you’re working with.
- Your Christmas Tree is the perfect climbing frame for your Siberian kitten, even providing multiple balls for them to knock down and chase around the room.
- Once you own a Siberian cat, you will never drink from a glass of water that hasn’t been drunk from or sneezed in by your cat again. It’s best if you just accept this now.
- Never feed your Siberian cat with your fingers, they don’t do that thing dogs do where they gently take the food from your hand. They just eat the food and then bite you.
- The sound of Siberian kittens pitter pattering up and down your stairs will sound like someone threw 100 tennis balls against the floor with force.
- If you create an Instagram account for your Siberian kitten, it will get more followers than you do.
- It’s impossible not to fall in love with your Siberian kitten. Fact.
Like me on Facebook - Follow me on Instagram - Follow me on Twitter